Alignment?! [Archive] - Nissan Xterra Forum

: Alignment?!

tameroflions
04-22-2009, 04:58 PM
ok, what the heck. i have been trying to get my alignment done, and im starting to get abnormal wear on the outside of my tires so i need to get my alignment done asap.
they told me my ball joints were bad.
replaced those.
took it back to get it done, and now they say my eccentrics are maxed out, which they are...what can i do. are there bigger better eccentrics i can buy to make it be aligned?

what the heck?!?!

my alignment specs right now are
LEFT FRONT
-.8 camber
-.6 caster
.19 toe

RIGHT FRONT
-.2 camber
1.7 caster
.28 toe.

what do i do?

fusionfronty99
04-22-2009, 05:06 PM
ok, what the heck. i have been trying to get my alignment done, and im starting to get abnormal wear on the outside of my tires so i need to get my alignment done asap.
replaced those.
took it back to get it done, and now they say my eccentrics are maxed out, which they are...what can i do. are there bigger better eccentrics i can buy to make it be aligned?

what the heck?!?!

LEFT FRONT
-.8 camber
-.6 caster
.19 toe

RIGHT FRONT
-.2 camber
1.7 caster
.28 toe.

what do i do?

your within range on your right front camber wise

and not too farr off on your drivers side

you do got a little to much tie in tho id tell him to bring it down to .1, mine sits at .05 and .08...

what will kill tires the most is toe in and by the sounds of your tires wearing on the outsides... well theres your answer

tameroflions
04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
what can i do?

Pops
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Your Toe is a combined ratio so your toe is .19 + .28 which is actually .47 total. That's way too much, IMO. It looks to me that they need to get the Toe on both sides closer to 0.00.

Creepy Cruiser
04-22-2009, 06:11 PM
You should be about 1/8" or so toed in over all in the front. (like pops said add them together). It's easy to do that part yourself.

1) take a couple of 2x6's and lay them against your tires standing up the 6" way.
2) measure across from one 2x to the other in front of the tire and in back of the tire and compair the two.
3) with your steering wheel as close to center, look at what wheel is going the wrong way and break loose the tie rod end adjuster on that side.
4) spin it in or out until to get it 1/8" or so in in the front and then tighten it back up.
5) roll the ride back and forth a few times and check it again.
6) do this untill you get it there.

Thats the short version, lol.

02blue4x4
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
I just readjusted my alignment tonight and mine was
Right
caster: 1.6
camber: .1
toe: .10

Left
caster: 1.3
camber: .1
toe .10

When I had it on the rack i was looking at our camber specs and it is anywhere from .1 to 1.1. Preferred is .6, but that is too much positive camber for my liking and will wear the outside of the tires so I got it at .1 which is almost perfectly straight up and down. My caster was out of spec to get the camber where I wanted it, but I didnt care because I still had a good split from side to side with my pass side being slightly higher as it should be to compensate for the crown of the road. I cant remember the exact range of the toe spec, but I do remember preferred was .14. I wanted a little closer to 0 but still keep it with in range so I settled for .10 on both sides. As far as the shop telling you your eccentrics are maxed out seems kind of hard to believe. are they using both eccentrics on the front and back of the control arms or just 1? Tell them you want them to get the camber around .1 to .4 and dont worry what the caster is as long as they are close, preferably with the passenger side a little higher(.5 higher is usually ideal) then they need to resweep the caster and set the toe.

TJTJ
04-22-2009, 07:45 PM
replaced those.

what the heck?!?!

LEFT FRONT
-.8 camber
-.6 caster
.19 toe

RIGHT FRONT
-.2 camber
1.7 caster
.28 toe.

what do i do?

1. Set the Camber as close to 0 as you can get.

2. Try for Caster ~ 0.9 L.....1.2 Right

3. Try for TOE-In 0.008" L.......0.80" Right (Total Toe = 0.16")

That will help a LOT.

:D

Your CAMBER is now negative ..../----------\ so, you want it a bit more positive...and the eccentrics do NOT have to max out MORE, but LESS, to do that.

Typically, when you lift an IFS, the camber goes positive as the tops of the tires tip out \--------/

You've OVER compensated for that...and can bring that back in a bit.

tameroflions
04-29-2009, 11:50 AM
got it aligned today thanks to a custom hummer shop down the road. its a pretty ssick place...
thanks for the help guys!

TN4x4Xterra
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Did you take the specs from TJ to the hummer shop? or what?

tameroflions
04-29-2009, 12:02 PM
no i took my X and told them what was going on and they were like yea, we can do it, no problem.
and they did.

so were good to go now.

TJTJ
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Keep an eye on that outer edge wear though.

A hummer place is a good choice, they should be familiar with lifted IFS set-ups.

Ask them for the alignment print out too.

TN4x4Xterra
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Well, I need to get mine done.....somewhere....lol

how much they charge you tho? lifetime warranty included?

There's a hummer dealership here so maybe I can take it there?